Many students undertaking this course may have already completed the three units below as part of another Maritime qualification or as part of the MARSS00008 Shipboard Safety Skill Set.
- MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF030 Survive at sea using survival craft
As these units form part of this course, students who have completed them, will be not be required to attend on the days these units are being delivered (3-day duration).
Full time Face to Face In Classroom and Virtual Delivery
The delivery of this qualification will be in a face-to-face classroom environment and includes:
- Face-to-face theory training and workshops
- Comprehensive practical training
- A Task Book completed by the student and authenticated by QMTS Training
The units of the MAR30918 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 Metres Near Coastal) are delivered in a 32-day face-to-face program and 180 days of work placement (Sea Service Time).
If required a Task Book will be provided upon enrolment. Students will have 12 months (if required) to complete all theory and practical components of their program. The final practical assessment will not be undertaken prior to the completion of work placement or validation of necessary Sea Service.
Distance Learning Delivery
The delivery of this qualification is facilitated through a blend of different modes including:
- Workshops (in class face-to-face)
- Online Training (including webinars and Zoom training sessions to facilitate one-on-one training)
- Self-paced and self-directed learning
- Workplace learning activities (a Task Book completed in the workplace and authenticated by QMTS Training
The units of the MAR30918 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 Metres Near Coastal) are delivered over 12 months as a self-paced, self-directed distance learning program supported by a 23-day workshop (delivered in class face-to-face) for students requiring additional practical and theory support.
Students will also be required to complete mandatory work placement of 180-days (Sea Service Time). If required a Task Book will be provided upon enrolment.
- The flexibility distance learning program allows each student additional hours of supervised instruction, if required, by attending more than one workshop block.
- All students have access to their own trainer available via phone (Mon to Fri 0900 – 1700) or email and text (at any time) for additional support.
- For every unit in which they are enrolled, students may be required to attend that relevant unit in a workshop at least once in the 12 months of their enrolment. This may be done over one workshop or over multiple workshops.
- These workshops are available for students to attend as many times as required during their enrolment period.
- Students must also attend a one-day Practical Assessment.
- Appropriate clothing and enclosed footwear must be worn at all times while on training vessels.
QMTS Training offers:
- flexible training opportunities through workshops
- students training times to suit them (especially for students who are employed)
- students the opportunity to come for specific units for additional training.